There are many reasons why one may develop back and neck pains. Anything that causes the spine’s anatomy to change can result in back pain, such as lumbar disc herniation, lumbar degenerative disc disease, sacroiliac joint dysfunction, or osteoarthritis.
Neck pain is most commonly caused by muscle strains, which can develop as a result of a cervical herniated disc, cervical degenerative disc disease, or cervical osteoarthritis.
Back and neck pain may range from mild to severe, and you may experience accompanying symptoms. Luckily, physical therapy can help relieve back and neck pain, and help you get back to living your normal, pain-free life. Relieve your back and neck pain today by contacting Alta Vista Wellness Center to schedule a consultation.
What will a treatment plan for back and/or neck pain look like?
Physical therapy is an effective treatment for both back and neck pain. The goals and expected outcomes of these treatments include:
- Improved strength. Your physical therapist will create a specific exercise plan for your particular needs, which will aid in the strengthening of muscles in the affected area.
- Prevention of further issues. By learning proper body mechanics, you can avoid future injuries and prevent pain from recurring.
- Decreased pain and stiffness. By using passive treatments such as manual therapy, your physical therapist will help alleviate pain in the affected area and accelerate the healing process.
- Increased range of motion. Your physical therapist will implement flexibility exercises into your treatment plan, which will help increase the range of motion in your back and neck.
- Improved quality of life. Physical therapy can help you return to your normal routine much quicker, allowing for an overall improvement in quality of life.
Treatment plans are comprised of both passive and active methods. Passive treatments work to relieve pain, inflammation, and stiffness, while active treatments work to improve strength, flexibility, and function.
Common passive treatments for back and neck pain include ice and heat therapies, manual therapy, electrical stimulation, and ultrasound. Active treatments include targeted stretches and exercises that your physical therapist will prescribe.
How do I get started?
If you’re experiencing back or neck pain, it is important to consult with your primary doctor right away. He or she will most likely perform a physical exam, and may want to take some x-rays or a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) test.
With an MRI, your doctor will be able to clearly see your soft tissues, ligaments, tendons, and blood vessels, which can provide evidence of where your back or neck pain is stemming from. Once this is determined, your doctor will suggest a course of treatment, which will likely include physical therapy.
Back pain and neck pain can lead to a loss of productivity, and it is a common cause for disability. Because of this, it is important to seek the assistance of a medical professional immediately if you are suffering from back or neck pain.
Contact us today for relief!
Are you living with back or neck pain? If so, say goodbye today with the help of physical therapy. Contact us today to confirm your appointment and get started on the first steps toward pain relief.
Tags: physical therapy, back pain, Health, physical therapist, fitness, physical fitness, health and wellness, Sciatica Pain, Alta Vista Wellness Center, posture, Natural Pain Relief, Natural Treatment, physical activity, Aches & Pains, Herniated Disc, Core Strength, Neck Pain